Smita Nagdev, an eminent Sitar artist
Smita Nagdev, Born Nagpur on 21 March. Learning Sitar under the ‘Guru-Shishya’ tradition from the age of four. Her guru Late Shri Vasudeo Rao Ashtewale was a traditional Sitar player from the well known ‘Ashtewale Gharana’ of Ujjain. She became ‘Gandabandha Shagird’ (deciple) of Sarod Maestro Ustad Amjad Ali Khan in 1997.
Awarded scholarship of CCRT New.Delhi from 1984 to 1991 and scholarship to young artists in cultural field by Govt of India in 1995 for two years. Visited China as cultural delegate in 1998. Passed M.A.in Ancient Indian History in 1995 and master of Music from Khairagarh Music University, Madhya Pradesh in 1996. Awarded B-High Grade of All India Radio. Daughter of well known painter Shri Sachida Nagdev.
Invited for ‘Artist in Residence’ Programme by the French Government 2005.
Worked with French Jazz Group ‘Images Quartet’.
Invited in ‘San Francisco International Festival of Arts’ in May 2009.
Performed at ‘Guimet Museum’ Paris, 2010.
Performed with Guru Ustad Amjad Ali Khan at Wigmore Hall, London June 2012.
Performed in ‘India Week, Puteaux (France) for ‘Homage to Pt,Ravi Shankar”April 2013
- Bharatiya Vidya Bhawan, Bombay, Bhatkhande Sangeet Samaroh as ‘Nutan Kalakar’ 1986.
- Cultural Organisations in Dubai, Sharjah and Abu Dhabi in UAE in 1987.
- Indian Council of World Culture, Bangalore 1987.
- Awarded in1990 at South Central Zone Cultural Centre, Annual Music Festival Mysore,
- Swami Haridas Sangeet Sammelan, Sur Singar Samsad, Bombay 1992.
- India International Centre, New Delhi,
- National Centre for Performing Arts Bombay,
- Parampara Festival, Khajuraho,
- Concerts in Singapore, 2000.
- India Habitat Centre, New Delhi, 2002
- Cultural Troup Silk Route Festival China,
- Concerts in Switzerland (UNO Geneva), France, Austria, 2004.
- Bharat Bhawan, Bhopal 2005.
- Sangeet Natak Academy, New Delhi. Young Artist Festival, Jammu
- World Meditation Conference Tapovan, Normandy France and Belgium
- World Intelligence Property Organization WIPO, U.N. Geneva Switzerland 2007.
- Concerts at Sharjah World Book Fair and Arts Area UAE, 2007.
- Performed at Indian Independence Day celebration at International Labour Organization, Geneva(Switzerland).
Apart from the above, invited and performed at many other prestigious stages in India and abroad.