Ruchira Kedar – one of the leading and most promising musician from Gwalior-Jaipur Gharana
Ruchira Kedar is one of the leading young Hindustani vocalists in India today and has established herself as one of the most promising torch bearers of Gwalior-Jaipur gharana. Her performances are acclaimed for her highly melodious and fluid presentation of ragas in their entire splendour. Her exceptionally skilful & emotive renditions of a variety of Hindustani musical forms have earned her the hearty admiration of connoisseurs & music lovers in India and abroad.
Born in a music-loving family in Bhopal, Ruchira started learning music at a very young age from her father, Shri Dilip Kale, who guided her and instilled in her the confidence to venture into the realm of Hindustani Classical Music. Ruchira learnt the intricacies of Hindustani Classical & Semi Classical music from the renowned vocalist of Jaipur-Atrauli Gharana, Dr. Alaka Deo Marulkar. Alaka-tai recognized her immense musical talent and groomed Ruchira to perform traditional Jaipur-Atrauli Gharana “Khayal” as well as a variety of other musical forms.
Thereafter, Ruchira received a residential scholarship with the prestigious ITC Sangeet Research Academy, Kolkata and received invaluable guidance from the celebrated Gwalior-Jaipur gharana vocalist, Pt. Ulhas Kashalkar. Ruchira learnt the finer nuances of the incredible Gwalior & Jaipur gharana gayaki from Pt. Kashalkar and she continues to learn from him even now. Ruchira also received significant guidance in semi-classical music from the doyen of Banaras gharana, Vidushi Girija Devi at ITC-SRA.
The kind of diverse training Ruchira was fortunate to receive has resulted in her music becoming an amalgamation of the different gharanas of Hindustani music and she has developed her own musical idiom where each gayaki is distinct and at the same time combines to produce an absolutely unique musical flavour. Her melodious, free-flowing voice effortlessly incorporates the distinctive shades of the “aalaapchari”, “badhat”, “bol-vistaar”, “taankari” of Gwalior and Jaipur gharanas. Her energetic and poignant renditions of semi-classical forms like Thumri, Dadra, Hori, Kajri, Tappa, Bhajan, Abhang etc are also widely appreciated by audiences everywhere.
Ruchira regularly performs at the prestigious music festivals all over India and abroad which are widely covered by the local and national media. She has been appreciated for her performances and blessed by many musical stalwarts like Ustad Zakir Hussain, Pt.Jasraj, Pt.Vishwa Mohan Bhatt, Pt.Ajay Chakravarty, Pt.Suresh Talwalkar, Smt. Shruti Sadolikar to name a few.
• Awarded an ‘A’ Grade by All India Radio and Doordarshan
• Gold Medal at the national level in the All India Radio Classical Vocal Competition, 1999
• Gaanvardhan Sansthan Shastriya Gayan award (Pune)
• Dewal Club Classical Vocal award(Kolhapur)
• “Yuva Sadhak Sammaan” by Madhukali, a prestigious organization in Madhya Pradesh
• Named “Young Achiever” by Mid-Day newspaper, Pune
• Named “Woman Achiever” by Dainik Bhaskar,Bhopal
• Awarded prestigious title “Sur Mani” by the Sur Singar Samsad, Mumbai
• An empanelled artist with the Indian Council of Cultural Relations (ICCR) for representation of Indian music at national and international platforms.
• Residential Scholarship awarded by ITC Sangeet Research Academy, Kolkata
• Awarded with the HRD Ministry’s Scholarship for Young Artists, Govt. of India
• An empanelled Guru with the Lalit Kala Kendra, University of Pune for mentoring students.
• Master’s Degree in English Literature and Music.
Ruchira has performed at many prestigious platforms in India and abroad, like
• Sawai Gandharva Sangeet Mahotsav, Kundgol
• Tansen Samaroh , Gwalior
• ITC SRA Sangeet Sammelans,Luknow,Delhi,Kolkata
• “Sangeet Pratibha ” , Sangeet Natak Academy, Udaipur
• Dadar Matunga Cultural Centre, Mumbai
• Dharwad Music Festival.
• Pt. S.N.Ratanjankar Smriti Samaroh, Gwalior
• India Habitat Centre , New Delhi
• Gaanvardhan, Pune
• ICCR “Horizon” Concert Series
• Jawahar Kala Kendra , Jaipur
• Mandu Utsav , Ustad Allauddin Khan Academy
• Indira Gandhi Rashtriya Manav Sangrahalay , Bhopal
• Devnandan Ubhaykar Yuva Sangeet Mahotsav, Bangalore
• Gururao Deshpande Sangeet Sabha : Banglore, Gulbarga
• “Aarambha” , Bharat Bhavan , Bhopal
• “Uttaradhikar”, M.P. Govt.
• Khajuraho Festival of Music & Dance
• Sur Sagar , Bangalore
• Andhra Music Academy, Hyderabad
• Koshi Mohotsav , Bihar
• Purab Ang Gayaki Utsav , VSK Baithak , Kolkata
• Akashwani Sangeet Sammelan, Ahemadabad
• Kala Prakash, Varanasi
• Workshops and Concert tour by SPIC MACAY, Rajasthan
• Vedic Heritage Ashram, New York
• Successful concert and Lecture-Demonstration tours in USA and Canada.
• Interviewed by leading TV channels like IBN Lokmat, DD Sahyadri etc.
• Presented theme shows like Music Masti Gappa Gaani , Hello Sakhi on DD Sahyadri.