Mukta Madan Raste , one of the most versatile young tabla artists in India
Mukta Madan Raste, represents as one of the most versatile young tabla artists in India making music today. She hails from a family with a remarkably musical, cultural and spiritual heritage. Mukta began learning classical vocal music, harmoniumand transferred her passion to one of the world’s most complex percussion instruments: the tabla. She was first introduced to tabla and many other percussion instruments by her Uncle Shri Sanjay Karandikar at age of seven and classical vocal by Late Smt.ShashitaiAchawal (Gwalior Gharana). At present she is learning classical vocal from renowned vocalist Ust. AslamHussain Khan (KhurjaGharana, Atrauli (Jaipur) Gharana, Agra Gharanas and the Delhi Tanras Khan Gharana).Tabla being usually known as male dominant instrument,shedisplayed an extraordinary skill and an amazing progress in solo as well as accompaniment of tabla.
Mukta is fortunate to receive tutelage of nuances of six gharanas of the tabla at intimate quarters from one of the most eminent and renowned tabla masters ShriAmodDandage andPt.ArvindMulgaonkarwhose constant inspiration compels her not only to dedicate herself to the study of Indian classical music but also to extend the reach of the tabla into an ever-growing variety of musical genres and cultural contexts. Her fluency in a diversity of musical traditions informs her unique compositions and her highly improvisational performances.
• Performed first Tabla solo recital at the age of 15, in the concert organized by Blind Association, Pune.
• Mukta has given Solo,Tabla-Dholki andTabla-TablaJugalbandi performanceswith her guru Shri. AmodDandageextensively in India, U.S and Singapore.
As an accompanist:
• Smt. ManjiriAlegaonkar, AshaKhadilkar, ArtiAnkalikar, KirtiShiledar, AnuradhaKuber, SuchitraBhagawat, NeelaBhagwat, AmarendraDhaneshwar, NeelakshiPendharkar,Shahana Banerjee(sitar),Ust. YakubHussain Khan,Shri. ShaunakAbhisheki, Rais Khan (sitar) and Meeta Nag (sitar) and many more.
• Accompanied on Tabla, Dholki and other percussion instruments with many Kirtankars in Mahatashtra and many light music orchestras with Enoch Daniel, AnandSharma and R.D burman group.Tabla accompaniment with musicologists Shri.ShridharPhadke, AnandModakKaushalInamdar, MithileshPatankar, SalilKulkarni, SanjivChimmalgi in various workshops..
• Participated in ‘Saam Marathi Gurukul’ competition for Tabla
• Interviewed for the subject ‘Tabla accompaniment for various vocal forms’ and accompanied in a program ‘Hello Sakhi’ Indian Classical Music Talk show and other music shows broadcasted by Doordarshan, Mumbai.
• As a percussionist in a very famous standup comedy show ‘Comedy Express’ broadcasted in Etv Marathi.
Awards and achievements
• Mukta has participated and won many prizes in various inter-school and state level music competitions viz;SadhanaMusic Circle Maharashtra State Level Tabla Competition Pune, KalmadiShamrao High school (for 4 years in a row), Pune, First prize in the Karnatak State Level competition held by GangubaiHangal Foundation at Dharwar, Karnataka.
• First Class in ‘TablaVisharad’ examination held by AkhilBharatiyaGandharvaMahavidyalayaMandal, India.
• The Government of India has honored her with the prestigious National Music Scholarship for the year 2010-13
• Joan Memorial Trust has awarded her scholarship under ‘young and talented artists of Hindustani Music’ for the year 2013-15.
As a Teacher
• At present she conducts Tabla classes at BARC (Bhabha Atomic Research Centre) and at her residence.
• She has also conducted lecture demonstrations for Tabla in U.S.
• Examiner and accompanist for the examinations of vocal and instrumental music conducted by A.B.G.M.V. Mandal.