Leena Malakar Vij, an exponent of Kathak Dance [Jaipur Gharana]
Leena MalakarVij is an accepted performer in the region of Kathak Dance [jaipur gharana] and was born in Kathmandu, Nepal. She got her initiation in Kathak during her school time under the tutel is an accomplished dancer smt. Honey shrestha back home. Under the promotion of The Govt. of Nepal she got India Council for Cultural Relation (I.C.C.R) scholarship to India. Here, she has learnt the essence of Kathak and traditional techniques under the guidance of Guru Smt. Nandini Singh at Sri Ram Bhartiya Kala Kendra – New Delhi, India. She has been selected for the artistes’ empanelment in ICCR (Indian council for cultural relation).
” I fell in love with Kathak at very early age. Soon I realized that dance is my life. This is what I am as a dancer. To me Kathak is the soul and my body relates to it, flows with it. This gives me so much of space within and all around “. says Leena . “When I came to Delhi on i.c.c.r .scholarship I know little about kathak.i am fortunate to come under the guidance of renowned Guru smt.Nandini singh…she helped me in getting a finest nuances of kathak.her support and encouragement helped me to grow as a kathak dancer “.
Over the years Leena has been honoured with numerous awards and distinctions. She has been honoured with Sringar Mani award by Sur Sansansad, Mumbai in 2006; Abhinav Kala samman award was given to her from Bhopal in 2009. In the same year, she was honoured with title, Naatyasree in Visakhapatnam (Andhra Pradesh). International Theatre and Dance Festival bestowed her with the title of Nrutya-Shiromani in Cuttack (Orrisa); etc.
Over the years Leena she has given numerous performances at many prestigious festivals across India and abroad. To name a few, recently she has participated at the natyanjali dance festival tamilnadu sponsor by Sangeet natak academy.iccr horizon series delhi organized by iccr delhi. mahakaal nritya and Sangeet mahotsav ujaain [Madhya predsh].taj mahotsav agra,haridas Sangeet sammelan in Mumbai; neemrana dance and music series neemraa rajasthan,Haridas Sangeet Sammelan in Vrindavan; baliyatra and neemapada fest orrisa’ Nrtiya Utsav in Mysore and at Pandit Durgalal Festival delhi, Vadakkunnathan temple kerala . In addition to this Leena has also performed in the Middle East countries .she has extensively performed in Sri Lanka organised by Shriram Srishti Dance Institute, Colombo and Spain [Barcelona] Europe.
At present she is teaching young children at her dance school called “kathik” and also conducts Kathak workshops and undertakes lecture-demonstrations for young students.
- Honour with prestigious award Abhinav Kala Aamman, Bhopal (Madhya Pradesh) 2009
- Vysakhi Nrithyosav and honour with title Naatyasree 2009 Visakhapatnam(Andhra Pradesh)
- International theatre and dance festival and honour with Nrutya-Shiromani 2009 Cuttack(Orrisa)
- Bharatotsava National dance festival and honour with Nrutya Shree Award 2009 Hubli (Karnataka)
First solo performance was in year 1997 at Regini Devi Desh Vedeshi Kalakar organized by Shayatya Kala Parisad.
Humpy festival & Vashant Panchami and Holi Utsav organized by Sriram Bharatiya Kala Kendra.
Performances by Leena Malakar
- Horizon series in 2013 organised by Indian Council for Cultaral relations
- Performed at neemrana fort palace organize by neemrana music foundation 2013
- Performed at Brihadeeswara Temple THANJAVAUR and CHIDAMBARAM sponsor by Sangeet natak akademi 2013
- Performed at Mumbai on a inaugural ceremony of Mumbai kathak Kendra 2013
- Performed at haridas Sangeet sammelan Mumbai 2012
- Performed at badakkunathan temple dance and music festival 2012 kerala.
- Performed mahakaal Sangeet Utsav ujjain Madhya predesh 2012
- Tour srilanka organize by shriram shristi dance institute Colombo 2011
- Performed at India international center 2011 organized by India international center 2011.
- Part of dance production Ã¢â‚¬Å“stree rupa aparupaÃ¢â‚¬Â and staged at bahratiya vidya bhawan Mumbai 2011
- Recently performed at Spain 2011
- Performed at taj mahotsava 2010 taj mahal agra.
- Performed at dance and music festival at madhurai 2010.
- Performed at triveni kala sangam organized by minestry of culture 2010
- Tour Middle East organized by Indian council for cultural relationÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s 2010
- Performed at nriyautsav organized by bharatiya vidya bhawan coiambatore 2010
- Performed at dance festival organized by ernakulam kala samiti Cochin [kerala] 2010
- Basant Utsav organized by abhinav kala parisad Bhopal [Madhya Pradesh] 09
- Honour with prestigious award abhinav kala samman. Bhopal [Madhya Pradesh] 09
- Vysakhi nrithyosav and honour with title naatyasree 09 visakhapatnam[andhara predesh]
- International theatre and dance festival and honour with nrutya-shiromani 09 cuttack[orrisa]
- Bharatotsava National dance festival and honour with nrutya shree award 09 hubli[Karnataka]
- Performed at tata auditorium Bangalore 09
- Performed at nimapara dance festival orrisa organized by konark natya mandap 09
- Performed at pragjyoti national dance festival assam 09
- Natyanjali Festival thiruwarur, kumbakonam and chidambaram-2008.
- Pt. Durgalal Festival 08.on the birthday of late pt; Durga lal ji.
- Vrindaban Mahatsav 08.
- Natyanjali Perur organized by rotary club perur coiambatore.08
- Pallovautsav Mysore 08
- Baliyatra Festival organized by ministry of culture cuttack orrisa 08
- Delhi International arts festival 08
- Hanuman Jayanti at mahuwa Gujarat.
- 6th Asian film festival organized by Ossian.
- Sringarmani awarde at prestigious 45th kal kai kalakar Mumbai.
- Haridas Sangeet samelaan Mumbai.
- Ardha Kumbha mela06 in Allahbad.
- National Festival at thanjvur, nagapatnim,thirunalla and thriruvarur sponsor by south cultural zone Tamil nadu.
- Haridas Sangeet saimellan at vrindaban 07.
- Coimbatore [polachi] organized by tamizhisai sangam.
- Nritya Utsav mysore.