Gullapudi Raman Kumari – dancer, dance educator and choreographer in Odissi and Odisha folk
A Dancer and Dance Pedagogue
Gullapudi Raman Kumari, born 1980, lives in Hyderabad. She is a dancer, dance educator and choreographer in Odissi ,odisha folk and other. Born and brought up in the eastern state of Odisha. And one of the rare dancers who strongly believes “Dance is Life and Life is to Dance”. She was initiated to the art of Odissi when she was barely 7 years old.
She had her early training under Guru Shree Gajandra Panda and Guru Shree Sudhakar Sahu. Later she continued her studies under the able guidance of Guru Shree Dr. Manoj Kumar Behera and gained a thorough grounding on Guru Shree Deba Prasad Das style of Odissi. She gained her MMus from Akhila Bharatiya Gandharva Maha Vidyalaya. Her quest for enriching her art with the technique and style in social context is the final goal of her life.
Raman is one of the well-established artistes in the field today, part of a small group of contemporaneous peers so recognized. She has wide range of teaching and performing experience in this field both in India and USA. She has worked in schools, colleges, universities and also with public and private organizations.
A friendly person loved by her students and liked by all, Raman focuses on molding budding talent to professional standards of excellence, while at the same time pursuing her performing interests. She also keeps abreast of traditional Odissi repertoire and contemporary trends, and as a consequence, is frequently invited to conduct workshops, judge talent in competitions and provide lecture demonstrations. For her Dance is a universal.
Her long term association with dance has taught her the benefits of dance on health, both physically and mentally. She says:
The modern life style with progressive technology has made people work extra ordinarily and they end up themselves exhausted, stressful and frustrated ……..as neither the body nor the mind gets any relaxation. In this process people are more into depression, ineffective at work and also in their personal lives. She believes the scientific process of dance journey can be a better solution for this. She also says Dance is so natural to all living being as the “Movement” starts in the mother’s womb and each and everything works with “Rhythm” say it is breathing, walking, talking, eating and working. When a baby is born she/ he can put the big toe in her/his mouth, and also when they are born they take the toughest route to come out of the birth canal, just because they are flexible.
It is really surprising that how we tend to go against that natural skill and get lost in the way of our upbringing. When we are born we are with freedom of expression just with “cry and smile; even though we can’t speak. When we start speaking we start losing that freedom of expression with our social preconditioned boundaries. Why are we going against that nature? Why? So let us adopt once again dancing for the betterment of ourselves to be happy, healthy and wealthy.
1. M.Mus in Odissi Dance
2. (Alankar & Diploma) from ABGM
3. Diploma in Natya Bhusan from Sangeet Natak Academy BBSR
Guru Shree Gajandra Panda
Guru Shree Sudhakar Sahu
Guru Shree Dr. Manoj Kumar Bahera.
HONORS, AWARDS AND RECOGNITIONS OF MRS.GULLAPUDI RAMAN KUMARI IN THE FIELD OF ODISSI DANCE
The following list presents, in chronological order, some of the important land marks in the carreer of Mrs. Gullapaudi Raman Kumari including the honors awards and recognitions bestowed on her.
• Performed at Amphi Theatre, CCRT, Madhapur on March 8th 2014. “Shivarpanam” a dance festival organized by Hyderabad dancers.
• Performed for Headlines the national TV channel on their trip to Hyderabad under the banner Election Express on April 26th.
• Performed and choreographed dance for TV 7 on 29th April 2014 to celebrate the World Dance Day. The project was named as “The benefits of Dance on health”.
• Performed and choreographed odissi segment of Dasha Avatara, a first of a kind production by Dr. Rama Devi for Saptha Nruthya Manjari. A project with seven different dance forms. Staged at Ravindra Bharathi, Hyderabad on 28th June 2014.
• “ Tridhara” A premiere institution in Guru Shre Deba Prasad Das style of Odissi dance felicitated Gullapudi Raman Kumari on the occasion of 28th remembrance day celebration of Guru Shree Deba Prasad Das . And also performed at “Shradhanjali Samaroha” an evening of Odissi Dance on 18th july 2014 at Rabindra Bharati, Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India.
• Conducted a 4day dance workshop at Berhampur, Odisha from 8th Sep 14-12th Sep 14. This workshop covered “Dasa Avatar” the 10 incarnations of lord Vishnu, A unique choreography by Guru Deba Prasad Das, movement flow,
Posture clarification, Importance of theory for dance.
• Working as a dance instructor in “Feet on Earth” a professional dance studio in Hyderabad from 1st May 2013.
• Founder of “Dancing Dolls” for online and private dance lessons.
• Performed “3 Dhara” at Lamakaan, Hyderabad on 1st Sep 2013.
• Performed solo and group dance at Hari hara Kalabhavan, Hyderabad on 6th Oct.2014, an annual event organised by Feet on Earth Dance Studio.
• Performed at Chowmahala Palace, Hyderabad on 14th Nov 2013.
• Performed “3 Dhara” and choreographed partially Odissi on a north Indian music called “Tarana” in a conference named “Confluence” Organised by Centre for better eyesight at Hotel Taj Krishna.
• Invited to judge the inter university dance competition called “Winter Fest 2012”.
• Teaching private students on Skype.
• Performed at 4th international seminar on: Puri Jaganath Chetana (consciousness) Globalization-a-prospect”. Theme: The greatest mall of the world, Jaganath Temple” Dec 8th 2012
• Translation of the book “The process of Mudra interpretation (work in progress)
• Lecture demonstration and performance of traditional Odissi recital in Guru Shree Deba Prasad Das style at Purdue University, Indiana, USA on 12th Feb 2011
• Performed at the Krannert Centre for Performing Arts, Champaign, IL, USA on Feb 26th 2011.
• Conducted Odissi dance workshop in Chicago on 26th Jan 2011.
• Performed at the University of Chicago, Chicago, USA, Music department, on March 11th 2011.
• Taught fall 2010 and spring semester 2011 at the University of Illinois in the department of world Music.
• Performed at the fall concert of World Music, School of Music University of Illinois, on Dec 4th 2010.
• Taught fall semester (August 23rd 2010-Dec 16th 2010) of Odissi (Dance class 310) at the University of Illinois in Champaign-Urbana August 23rd 2010-Dec 16th 2010.
• Performed at Lemont Temple of Greater Chicago on October 2nd 2010. “Shanti” a concert for universal peace.
• Teaching and performing for Rhythm and Raag August 16th2010-August 16th 2011.
• Gave birth to a beautiful daughter on 16th March 2010.
• Conducted an Odissi Dance workshop at Lemont Temple Chicago, USA. On Nov 8th 2009.
• Choreographed and presented a dance piece on the song Shree Ganeshaya Dheemahi at ASHA’s Sharad Saavan Fundraising concert on 24th Oct 2009.
• Performed at Lemont Temple Chicago on 2nd Oct 09.
• Performed at Channing Murray Foundation on May 2nd 2009.
• Performed at South Side School, on April 30th 2009. On the occasion of International Night.
• Performed and conducted Interactive workshop at Edison Middle High School on April 29th 2009.
• Performed at Channing Murray Foundation on April 25th 2009, on the opening ceremonies of Rhythm & Raag, an institute of Indian Performing Arts.
• Performed and conducted a workshop at Urbana High School on Mar 14th 2009. On the occasion of “The world, yours & mine: Global Fest 2009” Performance at the opening ceremonies and an interactive workshop.
• Taught a master class at Dance 100: Global Cross-roads class at the University of Illinois in Champaign-Urbana on February 18th, 2009
• Invited to present a power point presentation on 27th Jan 2009 at UIUC AACC “Understanding Indian classical dance”
• Performed and conducted dance workshop at Dance Jatre, Bangalore on 4th and 5th Oct 08.
• Felicitated and conferred Nupoor Sanman 2008 by the southern Orissa cultural association, Berhampur, Orissa, India, on 2nd October, for her contribution to Odissi dance.
• Conducted interactive lecture demonstration on Odissi at Krannet Centre of Performing Arts UIUC., IL., USA on 18th Sept.
• Performed and choreographed a Dance on Renowned Tablist Mr. Subrata Bhattacharya’s Indo-Western Music Composition called “ Soul”25th August at the Performing Arts festival Champaign .
• Felicitated by the Lasya Sudha Dance Academy, Bloomington, IL, USA. For her contribution to Odissi Dance.
• Invited to conduct Summer Dance Workshop at the Dance studio UIUC., Sponsored by UNI performing High School USA.
• On 27th Feb. Invited to conduct Lecture Demonstration and participatory Odissi workshop in Dance 101 UIUC. IL. USA.
• Performed at Civic Centre Champaign, Urbana, IL-61820, on occasion of Sankranti on 14th Jan.
• Invited to conduct Odissi Dance work-shop at Urbana Library, Urbana, IL on 25th.Feb.
• Performed at Champaign Public Library, Champaign, IL on 26th March
• Performed at Ekamara Haat at Bhubaneswar, Orissa, India on 29th April on the occasion of Nrutyashree Utsav.
• Performed at Chrystal Lake Park organized by Oct 14th as part of Whirlwind Inter faith Project based on Odissi in relation to Hinduism and its spirituality
• Invited to perform at Unitarian Universalist Church Urbana, IL on 26th Oct along with Prof. Raj Mohan Gandhi, the grand son of the father of Nation Mahatma Gandhi, a fund raising programme to raise funds for Church in Khasi Hills in North East, India, and village is called Nongtalang and straddles the Bangladesh-border. It is a journey of about 3 Hrs. from shillong.
• Performed and conducted workshop at Christine Rich Dance Studio, Savoy on the occasion of International Dance festival as on 18th October.
• Performed at illini union on the occasion of Sharad Saavan, on Septermber 29th, a fund raising programme organized by ASHA for Education.
• Performed and conducted workshop at Christine Rich Dance Studio, Savoy on the occasion of Intenational Dance festival as on 18th October.
• Performed at SAMA Diwali 2007, Muncie Indiana, USA on 27th Oct.
• Performed at Hindu Temple, Indianapolis, IN on 26th Feb on the occasion of Mahashivaratri
• Performed at Greate Hall, Wesley Foundation, and Champaign, IL on March 4th. A fund raising programme Basant Bahar, organized by ASHA.
• Performed at Parkland International Fair on March 15th.
• Performed at Civic Center, On the occasion of Ugadi Festival on 1st April. Champaign Urbana. Sponsored by Telugu Association.
• Performed at Brookens Gym. Urbana IL on 12th Aug. on the occasion of Indian Independence Day celebration organized by Krishna Center UIUC and Indian Community Champaign, Urbana.
• Being the cultural coordinator of ICS, organized a cultural programme, on the occasion of “The Essense of India” on September 16th at University YMCA
• Performed at Hindu Temple, Indianapolis, IN on 23rd. Sept. on the occasion of Navaratri Celebration.
• Performed at Wesley foundation on Oct 14th, on the occasion of Sharad Savaan.
• Performed at Civic Center, Danville on 28th Oct on the occasion of Diwali celebration by Indian Society at Danville IL.
• Performed at Lemont Temple Auditorium, Chicago, IL on 18th November on the occasion of 50th Kanadda World Conference sponsored by Kanadda Kutta.
• Performed at Ugadi Festival on 10th April at Champaign, IL USA organized by North American Telugu Association.
• Invited to perform at Basant Utsava Festival on 14th May in Chicago organized by Bengali Association of Greater Chicago.
• Performed at Krannert Centre of performing Arts UIUC for International Humanitarian Awards Ceremony on 15th Sept.
• Performed at Crystal Lake Park for Don Moyers Boys and Girls Club on the occasion of 16th Grate CU-Duck Race on 8th Oct.
• Choreographed and Performed at Chunning Moore, Urbana, and Champaign on the occasion of Tagore Festival on 15th. Oct.
• Performed at Decatur on 29th Oct. on the occasion of Diwali Festival organized by Guajarati Association.
• Performed at Civic Center, Danville, IL on the occasion of Diwali Festival on 5th November sponsored by Indian Society at Danville, IL
• Performed at Civic Center, Champaign, and IL., USA on 11th Nov. Organized by ICA.
• Conferred the Akhya Mohanty Smruti Sanman by the Oriya Poets Association of Ganjam District on 15th Feb in Orissa, India.
• Performed & choreographed Dance Drama called “Gopo Bibhooti” for Door Darshan Programme DD-I on 17th March
• Performed at Ganjam Kala Parishad, Berhampur on the occasion of Baladev Rath Smruti Samaroho on 20th March sponsored by Orissa Sangeetha Natak Academy, Orissa India.
• Performed at Chirimiri, Madhya Pradesh., India sponsored by Orissa Sangeeta Natak Academy.
• Performed at Utkal Samajica at Chirimiri, Madhya Pradesh, India sponsored by Orissa Sangeeta Natak Academy, BBSR, and India.
• Performed at the Youth Festival’2003 held at Khandamals, Orissa, India.
• Performed at Mahanadi Sahitya Sansad Festival, Sonepur, Orissa, India-2003 sponsored by the Orissa Tourism Development Corporation, BBSR, and Orissa, India.
• Invited as judge for South Orissa Fine Arts Competition for Classical Dance.
• Invited as Judge for Eastern Zonal Inter University Dance Festival at Berhampur, Orissa, India.
• Joined as part time classical Dance Teacher at Kendriya Vidyalaya Berhampur (2002-2004).
• Conducted Northern Zonal Festival of Inter Kendriya Vidyalaya of India at Barabati Stadium, Cuttack, Orissa sponsored by Kendriya Vidyalaya, Berhampur.
• Joined Kala Bikash Kendra and took the responsibility of teaching and conducting ballets.
• Obtained Alankar (M.Mus in Dance) from Akhila Bharatiya Gandharva Maha Vidhyalaya, Mumbai, India.
• Invited to perform in Medical Conference on 1st Jan at Chirimiri, Madhya Pradesh, India
• Joined NUPUR Institution, Bhanja Bihar as Dance Director
• Performed at Sanskruti -2001, Berhampur, Ganjam, Orissa,India
• Performed at Gopalpur Beach Festival at Gopapur, Ganjam, Orissa, India from 2001-2003
• Performed at Senate Hall, Bhaja Bihar, and Berhampur University on the occasion of visit of UGC team visit.
• Performed at Bhanjanagar, Orissa, India on the occasion of International Nigamananda Conference.
• Performed at District developmental Exhibition from 2001-2003
• Invited to perform PRAKASAM HALL, Berhampur, Berhampur, Orissa, India sponsored by Orissa Telugu Cultural Association.
• Invited as a Judge for Navodaya Group of Schools Competition for Classical Dance and Folk Dance at Kanisi in the District of Ganjam, Orissa, India.
• Joined at Kala Bikas Kendra, Music College, Chatrapur, and Ganjam as an Assistant Dance Teacher from 2000 to 2004.
• Performed at Suchana Bhawan, BBSR, and Orissa, India.
• Performed at different occasions organized by the District Administration.
• Performed at Sanskruti-1999, Berhampur, Ganjam, Orissa, India
• Performed at Gopal Krushna Jayanti at Mandasa, Andhra Pradesh sponsored by Orissa, Sangeet Natak Academy, Orissa, India.
• Performed at Beach Festival, Puri,Orissa, India.
• Performed at Paradeep Beach Festival, Orissa, India.
• Performed in Youth Festival-1998 at Kalinga Stadium, Bhubaneswar, Orissa.
• Performed at Sanskruti-1998 at Ganjam Kala Parisad, Berhampur, Ganjam,Orissa,India.
• Obtained Bisarad Degree, (B.Mus) from Akhila Bharatiya Gandharwa Mahavidyalaya, Mumbai, India.
• Performed at Joda of Keonjore a District in Orissa on the occasion of Independence Day Celebration on Aug 15th.
• Performed at SURABHI-1998-2002 organised by District Administration, Ganjam, and Orissa, India.
• Performed at Bhawanipatna, Orissa sponsored by Sangeeta Natak Academy, Orissa, India.
• Passed High School Certificate Examination.
• First Odissi Dance recital.