Anita Sharma, an accomplished and versatile Sattriya Dance Maestro
Anita Sharma is an accomplished and versatile Sattriya artist who has conquered an enviable place in the world of Satriya, an exquisite dance form of Assam. She has devoted herself to learn Satriya dance under Padmashree Nrityacharya Jatin Goswami and has compelling and arresting stage presence with a rare combination of intensity and spontaneity. Her interest in dance was nutured at an early age by her parents and was intensively trained under her guru for more than 15 years.Anita is indeed. one of the Sattriya’s finest and most outstanding exponents in India today. Anita is known for her vision, versatility and superb Abhinaya. Her performances have a pristine and divine quality which leaves audiences mesmerized and elevated them to a higher state of consciousness.
She also has been trained in the art of Odissi by Late Guru Padmabibhusan Kelucharan Mahapatra at Bhubaneswar.
Anita holds a master degree an Assamese literature from Guwahati University and has done extensive research work relating to the Sattriya dance form. She has been doing research work on “ Ojapali “ a rich cultural tradition of Assam under Sattiya Kendra( Sangeet Natak Akademi)
She has been awarded a two years of Junior Fellowship by the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Deptt. Of Culture, Govt. of India for the year 2005-2007 on “Different form of Folk elements of Assam in Sattriya Dance”.She is an ‘A’ graded artist of Doordarshan Kendra, New Delhi. She is an empanelled solo artist of the I.C.C.R.
She is also the founder of a rapidly growing Sattriya & Odissi dance Institute namely “Abhinaya Dance Academy” in the heart of Guwahati city with many upcoming talents.
The dance group of the academy represents a powerful combination of tradition and
versatility and has developed a natural flair for picking up right nuances of Sattriya in the
finest form. She has cut a niche for herself also in the field of choreography. She created Anubahv, which is an effort to bring some similarities of Sattriya with Odissi dance. She has made an effort to bring together Sattiya and Kathak dance to stage with an new out look . Moreover, Anita has also choreograph for many Assamese play and mobile theaters .Choreographed “ Ritu Rang “, a ballet based on Rabindranath Tagore’s seasonal songs in Sattriya style on the occasion of 150th birth anniversary of Kaviguru Rabindranath Tagore. She has also assisted her guru Jatin Goswami in Choreography work of Chandralika, a dance drama written by Rabindranath Tagore in Sattiya style produced by Sattriya Kendra, Guwahati. Apart from this she had been organizing yearly a festival in her Home Town Guwahati as “Parampara Dance & Music Festival”
She has been conferred with Nrityaveda awarde at Jathis Dance Featival,New
She has been conferred with Devdasi Award 2013 by Devdasi Nrutya Mandir with
collaboration of Odisha Tourism & Cultural Department.
She has been conferred with NRUTYA BIDUSHAI SAMMAN for Sattriya dance in
2012 by International Dance Congress, Bhubaneswar, Odisha.
She has been titled as NATYASRI at All India Classical Dance Festival, Vizag.in
* Performed at Khajoraho Dance Festival,M.P. 2014.
*Performed at Vasantnrityotsav , New Delhi 2014.
*Performed at Devdasi Dance Festival, Odisha,2013.
*Performed at Konark Dance festival organized by Odisha Tourism 2012
*Performed at Classical Dance festival organized by Nupura in Bangalore 2012
• Performed at Bhagyashandra National Dance Festival at Manipur organized by Manipuri State Department of Art & Culture and E.Z.C.C Kolkata, N.E.Z.C.C Dimapur,2011.
• Performed in International Art Festival(Nrityanjali) at New Delhi organized by Sangeet Natak Akademi,2011.
• Performed and Choreographed RITU RANG, a ballet supported by Sangeet Natak Akademi in July, 2011.
• Performed in Balaji Temple Festival , Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh in May, 2011
• Performed in Sangeet Madhuri Dance and Music Festival at Guwahati by Govt. of Assam in March 2011
• Performed in Pragati Angan (International Trade Fair) at New Delhi in Nov, 2010.
• Performed in Octave Festival at Aurangabad in Nov, 2010 conducted by SNA.
• Performed as a major character in “Chandalika” Ballet organized by SNA on the occasion of Rabindranath Tagore’s 150th Birth Anniversary in July, 2010.
• Performed in Classical Dance and Music Festival held at Imphal in July, 2010 conducted by ICCR, Govt. of India.
• Performed in 25th Konark Dance and Music Festival, held at Konark, Orissa in Feb, 2010.
Performed at Sattriya Dance Festival organized by Sangeet Natak Akademi at Bongaigaon, Assam in Feb, 2010.
• Performed in Classical Dance and Music Festival held at Agartala in Jan, 2010 conducted by Government of Tripura.
• Performed in Shraddhanjali-Death Anniversary of Guru Kelucharan Mohapatra for last five years at Guwahati.
• Performed in Nritya Santati in Mumbai, 2009 organsied by Sangeet Natak Akademi.
• Performed in Guru Kelucharan Mohapatra Award Ceremony, Bhubaneshwar, 2008
• Performed in NCPA, MUMBAI-2008.
• Performed in the Nritya Sangam , Jamshedpur, 2008, organized by Sangeet Natak Akademi.
• Performed in Mahabalipuram Dance Festival, Chennai—2004.
• Performed in Nritya Parva organized by Sangeet Natak Akademi,
Guwahati—2002, 2003 and 2005.
• Performed for DVD making of Indian Classical Dance, organized by Invis Multimedia, Kerala —2003
• Performed in Sattriya Dance Festival, Guwahati—2001,2002, 2003 and 2005.
• Performed in Uday Sankar Dance Festival, Kolkata—2002, 2007 and 2010.
• Performed in Khajuraho Festival—2002.
• Performed in Indian Habitat Centre, New Delhi—2002
• Performed in Swarnotsav at Ahmedabad, organized by Sangeet Natak Akademi, New Delhi-2000.
• Performed in Basistha Festival, Guwahati—1996.
• Performed in Beach Festival, Puri,1994.
PERFORMANCES IN ABROAD:-
• Performed at Dhaka (Bangladesh) thrugh Sangeet Natak Akademy on the occasion of 150th birth anniversary of Kabi Guru Ravindra Nath Tagore 2012
• Performed at Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan, Kyrgystan and Russia under ICCR (Indian council for Cultural Relation) in Feb, 2011.
• Performed in Music of museum at Stockholm, Sweden in 2008.
• Performed in World Music Festival organized by Paige Aimi World Peace Foundation,USA—2006 .
• Performed in Sankarajayanti , London, UK—2005.